Post 16 Elite Sports Scholarship Opportunities
The St Bede’s College Elite Sports Scholarship Programme aims to develop the sport specific components which are necessary for elite performance. This includes the development of:
- Technical Skills by qualified and experienced coaches
- Tactical / Game awareness and performance under pressure by qualified and experienced coaches
- Physical Preparation (Strength & Conditioning) by qualified and experienced coaches
- General and Performance Nutrition & Recovery Education
- Medical Cover (BUPA – Subject to terms & conditions)
- Injury Prevention Programming and Education
- Sports Psychology Education
- Athlete Mentoring Programme
- Supplement & Anti-Doping Education & Advice
- Links with Elite Sports Institutions
The Elite Sports Scholars Programme seeks to inspire our elite performers with a sense of the joy of physical endeavour, with self-respect and pride in the College. We want all pupils to enjoy their sport, to seek excellence in their field and to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Our talented and dedicated coaching teams strive to create the best possible environment for pupils to learn with a judicious mixture of challenge and open communication.
In order to gain a place on the Elite Sport Scholar’s Programme at St Bede’s College, candidates will need to be outstanding in one of our major sports; for boys, football and rugby, for girls, hockey and netball.
On our assessment day,
Sports that we consider in the assessment are:
The maximum number of sports that can be assessed is one.
Reports regarding other sports will be taken in to account but will not be assessed.
The scholarship assessment day will involve a series of practical tests, including general fitness testing and a 90 minute assessment in the candidates chosen sport.
- Sports scholarships are awarded to those displaying exceptional talent and potential in one of the College’s four major sporting disciplines
- Candidates will be expected to furnish evidence of achievements to date (Sporting CV), and supporting documentary testimonials from teachers or coaches at School and /or Club or Representative Team coaches
- Candidates will undergo a practical assessment of ability in one of the major team sports of Football, Rugby, Hockey or Netball. Candidates will complete a set of physical tests, perform in an assessed game and be interviewed by the Director or Assistant Director of Sport and the Head or Assistant Head of 6th
- Sports awards offered are subject to the recipient satisfying the College’s 16+ academic entry requirements. Candidates are expected to achieve seven or more GCSE passes (Grade C or Grade 4 and above). For more information on the 6th Form Academic Programmed please contact Helen Taylor (Admission Manager) at email@example.com
- *Candidates applying for Rugby Scholarships should recognise that the College has not run a Senior Rugby Programme for a number of years. The Rugby Programme will be run by Director of Sports and England u16 Coach David Muckalt and the squad will be made up exclusively of Sports Scholars
- Candidates applying for Football, Hockey and Netball will join existing College programmes which are delivered by St Bede’s PE Staff and specialist external coaching staff.
- All programmes involve participation in Local, Regional and National Cup Competitions as well as regular Saturday and mid-week fixtures
- If you require any further information, please contact the Director of Sport, David Muckalt, on 07808 018784 or email firstname.lastname@example.org