The Prep part of the College is purpose-built and enjoys excellent facilities which enhance both the curriculum and the co-curricular life of the school. Each classroom is well resourced and includes computers and an interactive whiteboard. In addition, we have a Prep ICT suite with newly updated computers for group and individual work. Our fiction and non-fiction libraries are well stocked with a wide range of reading materials easily accessed by all pupils. Peripatetic music tutors utilise our individual practice rooms for personalised instrumental and vocal tuition.
At the heart of our Prep School lies our Chapel, a place of worship, spirituality and peace. Our pupils regularly visit the Chapel to attend Masses, assemblies and liturgical prayer services.
The Prep is situated on the College campus, allowing pupils to access a wide range of specialist facilities. These include the Sports Hall, Academic Hall, Dining Halls, Design and Technology Workshop, ICT Suites, Science Laboratories, Drama Studio, Sports Grounds and floodlit all-weather AstroTurf pitch.
The pupils in the Senior part of the College enjoy a new purpose-built Library equipped with a new ICT suite where pupils can study before and after school. The College appreciates the use of the stunning Vaughan Building, purchased in 1876 which provides a back-drop for the rest of the College. The facilities which provide for an excellent education span 3 sites.
The main Vaughan Campus is comprised of the Henshaw, Joseph, Beck and Vaughan Buildings which house subjects such as Science, Geography, Geology, RE, Maths, Economics, Business Studies, Politics, History and Music. The Drama Studio, Junior Refectory, Main Dining Hall and Sports Hall are also on this main site. The Regis Campus, adjacent to the main Vaughan Campus, is home to English, MFL, Latin and the Sixth Form. Wellington Gardens is on the Regis Campus which is utilised for Sport and other recreational activities.
A short walk to Brantingham Road brings pupils to the College’s Sports Grounds. This site comprises of extensive playing fields, Pavilion, purpose-build changing facilities and a floodlit all-weather AstroTurf pitch.
St Bede’s College is proud to combine innovation and tradition with 140 years of history.
Recently there has been a major redevelopment of the Sixth Form. There is now a devoted study area with computer and wi-fi access throughout. Annexed to this is a Careers and UCAS resource centre, where Mrs Lockett (Head of Upper Sixth) can be found before school, at lunchtime and in her free periods to help students with their university applications. Miss Curry (Head of Sixth Form) and Mr Gallagher (Head of Lower Sixth) are also based adjacent to the Sixth Form study area.
The Sixth Form now has a new cafeteria, The Hive, which is open throughout the school day and where students can purchase a wide range of hot and cold drinks and snacks. The remainder of the Common Room has also been refurbished and is now a highly attractive space for the students to study, eat and socialise.
Perhaps most significantly, the Sixth Form Common Room has been renamed. It is now the Father Bernard Jackson Sixth Form Centre, in recognition of the long and loyal service given to the College by Father Jackson. Father Jackson was himself a pupil at St Bede’s in the 1920s. In 1938, after his ordination in Rome, he returned and remained in a variety of capacities for a further 67 years. In total, he spent 74 years of his life at St Bede’s College – more than any other individual in its history.